My absence from my YouTube channel, answering my Arduinite followers’ questions, over the last few days is attributable to the fact that I’ve spent 12-hour days getting my new workshop in order – if a chaotic jumble of tools, leads, bolts, screws and computer equipment in any way defines “order”! Sincere apologies to everyone who has left a comment but has received no reply (yet) – business-as-usual will resume shortly.
Here’s what my workshop looks like from the outside, whilst in a partially constructed state. It’s amazing how quickly it can be put together as the side walls come in a “flat pack” configuration and just get screwed together.
However, it’s the inside that really matter (a bit like a car, really) and that’s where I’m spending all my time at the moment.
Of course, I had to take photos of all the internal wiring so that I can remember in the coming months where not to put a screw through the wall. Admittedly, I do have one of those stud-pipe-electricity finder units but as the walls are 1/2″ oak-faced plywood it may not be able to detect things reliably.
Today and yesterday I moved the contents of my old workshop (part of our garage) into this new unit. That took a lot of work. Amazing how much you can accumulate over the years. “Time for a good clear-out, then”, suggested my wife, and I have to agree.
Later today I finally got to put some storage bins up for all my Arduino-related components. This will take some time, not least because the bins must be first numbered, and secondly all the components must be added to a spreadsheet before I store them so I can find them again!
But here you can get a taste of what some of the storage will look like, in this partially completed component bin unit, mounted on the wall. I just hope it does not gather too much dust, being open to the atmosphere like that. You can just make out on the right-hand side my existing storage (now also wall-mounted) which are drawers and which keep out dust and sawdust and what have you, but which have less room for bulky anti-static bags.
And so it continues. I believe I can see daylight at the end of the tunnel (or else it’s the light of an oncoming train) and tomorrow I hope to have all my computer equipment reconnected, ready to make further videos.
I’ll leave you with the view I have as I type this blog entry this evening – even though it’s been raining quite heavily, it’s a glorious view over my garden where we earlier had three squirrels squabbling over the peanut feeders!
Keep tuned for further updates and/or a new video in about a week’s time – all filmed from my new workshop.